Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Sunday, October 16, 2005

The big four-oh

"I won't last forever, but I'm damn well going to know that I was here!"
- George Sheehan

Well, I turned 40 today. Roughly halfway in the ultra of life.

Unlike an ultra, however, life seems to speed up as you go, whereas the second half of an ultra seems to take forever.

I have a lot I'm proud of (education, being a good doctor, husband and father, etc.) The regrets I have are minor (e.g. not developing a taste for wine earlier). If it were to end tomorrow the things I'd feel remorse over are unavoidable (not seeing my kids grow into adults) not anything I have or haven't done. I also don't think too many of us can say we weigh less at 40 than we did at 18, at least not 20lbs less.

3 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Tom Foolery said...

Happy birthday. You are recovering well from AT for such an old man.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Barbados Butterfly said...

Happy birthday Dr Andy!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger doulicia said...

Belated birthday greetings! I'll cross that line in 3 years myself; you set a great example.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home