Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Sunday, October 23, 2005

"Your lungs stop working and you die"

or how I became an expert on avian flu.

I don't have any particular expertise on influenza, avian or otherwise, a year ago. As time went on, I blogged more about it, read more about it, and learned more about it; this lead be to blog more about it, although I haven't been in any sense comprehensive about the subject.

I did write one post I was particularly proud of about how all the recriminations about the Katrina response might be better addressed toward improving the response to the coming bird flu pandemic (which was even referenced by instapundit).

Anyway, earlier this week I got a call from our PR department asking if I'd be willing to talk to a reporter about the immune response to the avian flu. Sure I said, but that's not really my area of expertise. Turns out the reporter had seen my blog and knew I was interested in the issue

So I guess now the old media is following the new. The reporter, Jeff Nesmith, was very well prepared and very knowledgable, having read several of the NEJM articles I had. I think what he needed most was someone knowledgable to walk through the immune response to infection, which I was happy to do.

I'm thinking about blogging an introduction to avian flu, but for now this free full text article from the NEJM is good, but maybe a bit tough for beginners, and this one sets the stage for how bad it could be.

As I talked to the reporter, I said I thought people might be overstating how many people might die, that it wouldn't be 10% of the population. He pointed out that even if it killed 0.5% that would still be 1.5 million people in the US alone.

1 Comments:

At 2:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Webmaster,

Pathology.org is the largest up to date informational database consisting of general health and disease information. The only way to combat disease and promote healthy living is to provide the public current information on health and diseases. Pathology.org consists of breaking news in the health world and offers the information needed to take preventive and combative measures to fight disease. Your website seems to be a very credible resource and would beneficial to us in the fight to combat the contraction and spread of disease. You can aid us in this fight by simply putting a banner or link up for us, making our site available to your vast public. I have included the code for the banner within this email showing you exactly what this banner will look like. Thank you for your time, effort, and work you have done, we look forward to any thoughts you may have.

Pathology.org is awarding you as top resource and if you would like to get the banner, please email me back with the subject line as your URL to avoid Spam and also to make sure that you only get the banner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home